Friday, November 22, 2019

Star Trader Update .004

Dear Readers,

Sorry I was absent last week. I have been nursing a virus and am just now coherent enough to post.
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

~*~

Well, you have met some fascinating and terrifying characters. You’ve been introduced to some of my closest friends. We’ve toured some interesting and some not so inviting locales. And, you’ve acquired a wealth of information about the Verse and the things in it. Let’s take that knowledge and build on it. It’s time to kick the Hyper Drive in and get our butts to the GTD. I’m anxious to be at the reveal of the program Daniel’s been keeping so secret and I can hear Muldavian chocolates calling my name.



Power Play

004.01

It was snowing at the Trade post when I arrived. I hadn’t had a chance to wear my new coat Cassie and I found a few months back so I wiggled into my black polyfoil slacks and top, buckled up my new spacer boots (purchased along with the coat – they are trimmed in the same red material as the coat quilting) and topped it off with the new coat. The coat hits me at the ankles – plenty long with good swing. It will block the wind nicely. It is made of the supplest material – but very warm. I wouldn’t want to wear it in weather above freezing. It clings in all the right places. It is an iridescent green with fire red quilting on the collar, lapels and cuffs. The collar is an accordion style hood with the red quilting running in a flame design down the back. When I raise my arms out from my sides it has the same red material attached that billows out like a wingsuit. The description on the NET stated that it was not manufactured as a wingsuit and was not to be used as such, but it is a great look.
“You are styling, lady,” Daniel said when he opened the door. He bowed low and waved me in. “Hot tea and your favorite chocolate awaits.”
“You are too kind.”
“Let me take that lovely coat,” he offered. “It’s new, isn’t it?”
“Just purchased last month after we talked about going to the GTD celebration. I figured we would run into snow somewhere.” I collapsed into a huggable and the chair formed around me.
I love Daniel’s place. I think the best word for it would be inspiring. You want to sit back and drink it in because it makes you feel as though if you do, you will be able to connect with the Verse in a more positive way. It inspires you to slow down and think about your life. I don’t know how he gets any work done. When I visit, I spend my time lazing in a huggable with a cup of tea listening to Daniel regal me with his latest project.
The place has a Zen feel to it. There is fine art, with simple lines, throughout the home. It is a domed structure so it flows without any corners to stop the eye. The middle of the room is dominated by a natural rock pit fire structure. Of course, it is not wood burning. The flame is produced by the biofuel emitted from the genetically engineered microbes he keeps in a shed outback.
Around the fire are stationed numerous huggables, stools and oversized pillows for lounging. The kitchen is built into a rotating wall. It is very minimal even when open, just a few dishes, a prep unit and incinerator. The beds are located in the wall and slide out at the touch of a button. The bathroom is through a door in the wall and extends beyond the dome on the back. It is its own little world, with plants, soaking tub and subdued lighting.
Daniel keeps all his work offsite in a secured facility. I haven’t ever been there. It’s way too complicated for me anyway. I just like to relax at his place and he tells me his dumbed down version of what he is working on so my head doesn’t spin off my shoulders. I really don’t know why he likes me. I’m nowhere near his intellectual equal. I think he likes my stories of the old days. I do have quite a few. He, and others of his generation that I know, seem to find them entertaining. Things have changed so much since I was young. Now they have nannybots and AIs that have a sense of humor and can reason. Not like my days of doing things on your own and making a lot of mistakes as you went along. Those mistakes make for some good stories.
Daniel brought the tea and chocolates. “I have something to show you tomorrow. A little something that is going to accompany us to the GTD celebration.”
“Really, what?”
“You’ll have to wait and see. Tomorrow.” He passed his hand over the sensor by his chair and gentle piano music surrounded us. “I hope you have room for three more.”
He had my full attention. “Three more what?”
“Tomorrow,” he tantalized.
“No fair.” I tossed a chocolate wrapper at him.
“Who said life was fair? I am however, working on the concept of making it more so.”

*****
004.02

Daniel’s lab site was as disorganized and messy as his home was neat and serene. Every horizontal surface was covered with consoles, flats, keyboards, various forms of equipment and supplies, some I recognized and some not. There was a huge projection screen, but it had clothes draped on the corners of it as though it was meant to be a clothes rack.
The lab was further obscured by dead and dying plants of unique varieties. There were piles of half consumed food stuffs on plates and in mugs - some of them were growing things like biological experiments.
He really needed a housekeeper and it wasn’t going to be me. I sat down on the edge of a table by moving a flat out of the way.
“So, what are we here to see?”
“This way,” he coaxed. He opened a door into another room. From a distance, I could see that it was an office and to my relief, somewhat more tidy.
I walked in to find three walhmites lounging around a coffee table drinking mugs of what smelled like pitch.
“Ah, here we are,” Daniel announced. “3su, I want you to meet my bodyguards, Toland, Gyiand and Raland. They’re coming to the GTD celebration with us.”
The three came to their feet. They were all over seven feet tall, two male and one female. They had to be related – possibly brothers and sister. They all had the last name ‘and.’ They all gave me the walhmite equivalent of a handshake, they balled up their right fist and struck their left breast.
“Pleased to meet you all,” I responded. No sense in pissing off a gang of walhmite bodyguards. “Excuse us.” I grabbed Daniel’s sleeve and pulled him out of hearing range back into the lab. “What do we need them for?”
“3su you have no idea the magnitude of this game I am bringing with us. It is revolutionary. It is going to be priceless. I believe if I can find the right buyer the proceeds will set me up for life.”
“They can’t come,” I stated flatly. “I don’t have room to transport three more passengers, especially three huge walhmites. You’ve been aboard my ship. What were you thinking?”
“I was thinking we need bodyguards.”
“WE? Why would I need a bodyguard?”
“People will find out I came with you. They might try to strong arm you to get to me.”
“For a Game?” I almost shouted, but caught myself. “It’s just a fricken game no matter how revolutionary it is.”
“It is not a fricken game. It is THE GAME of the century. Maybe two centuries.” Daniel looked like he had his feelings hurt. I was ready to give in, but I just couldn’t see where I could house three walhmites. They would have to sleep in the cargo bay and I wasn’t going to suggest that.
“Where am I going to put them?” I asked plaintively.
“They can just stand in a corner,” Daniel said.
“Are you kidding?”
“No, they are very accommodating.” Daniel turned back into the room where the three had taken back their positions in the chairs around the table. “Hey, you three? You don’t mind standing in a corner until we get to GTD do you?”
“Nah…Course not…That’s fine with me,” they answered respectively.
“What kind of nut cases are they?” I asked skeptically. It was a good two week trip to Valaria.
“They’re not nuts, they’re androids.” Daniel announced with a huge grin. “My latest model. Tol –and. Ral-and and Gyi-and. Get it? And…Android? Pretty life-like, huh? Had you fooled.”
I punched him in the arm. “You dirty rotten little puke.”
The walhmites rose as one and were on me before Daniel could act. “Stop!” He ordered.
Raland had made it to me and had his hand gripped tightly around my neck, he dropped me. I coughed and gasped for breath.
Daniel leaned over me and patted me on the back. “You okay? I didn’t anticipate that. I was just going to surprise you.”
I nodded, but couldn’t bring myself to talk just yet.
“They really are programmed as bodyguards,” Daniel explained. “I’m sorry, they took your playful punch as aggression, but we’ll fix that as soon as you can talk.”
I straightened up and rolled my eyes as him. “Thanks for the surprise.”
“Toland, Raland and Gyiand, activate voice recognition protocol,” Daniel ordered. “Read this,” Daniel said and handed me a card.”
“Toland, Raland and Gyiand you are my buds?” I just had time to flip the card over to see what kind of nonsense was on the other side before the three replied in unison.
“We live to serve you lovely lady.” Then they gave me that walhmite salute again.
“Oh brother,” I said as I blew air through my nose and rolled my eyes again.
“Now they will obey you just like me, and no one else. All that’s left is for you to eat the card so the secret programming verbiage does not get out.”
“What?”
“Just kidding,” he grinned.
I punched him again - harder this time. The three went back to their seats without interfering.

*****
004.03

“You are not going to assign me Gyiand,” I protested.
“You have to have a bodyguard. I explained why.”
Daniel and I had been arguing for what seemed like hours. I had agreed to take on his android bodyguard team, but now he wanted to assign one to me as a babysitter. I was having none of it.
“I can take care of myself. The Valaria’s always have the Galactic Officials to reinforce their Programmable Matter Teams during the celebration. You can’t walk a block without seeing some form of law enforcement.” I was not going to have some female Walhmite hanging around and spoiling my sightseeing/flirting. No one would come within a Valarian tier of me with a Walhmite at me side.
“I spent the last GTD cooped up in a classroom the whole time getting my certificate so I could buy their overpriced navigational software. I will not have this trip spoiled.” I flopped down in the nearest huggable as a period to my statement.
“Okay, I will assign Toland to you and tell him to keep his distance,” Daniel finally gave in. He stretched out in the chair across from me. It molded to his lengthy stature. “But you have to have him.” Daniel crossed his arms over his chest.
“You are one stubborn dude. I give. But he had better keep his distance. If I even think that he is cramping my style, I’ll ditch him and he can find his own way home.”
Daniel smiled and tried to soften the blow. “I’ll add a program so he can help you shop for those gun turrets you want. You’ll see it will be good to have him around.”
“Yeah, right.” I just didn’t get that Daniel thought his game was worth this much security.

*****

004.04

Let me try to explain where the Valarian’s call home. Valaria was actually built.
We know that the Valarian’s originated somewhere else, but built this sphere eons ago. Now they call it home. They found a yellow hydrogen giant star with a carbon-based planet nearby. They mined the carbon, manufactured enormous, lightweight, but extremely strong Galvasien panels and built the multi-tiered sphere that surrounds the yellow giant. Each tier is powered by thrusters on the outside of the sphere that create the centrifugal force to keep gravity equal within. Each level is terra formed. The spheres are graduated in size, the largest being at the equator, the smaller being at the poles. There are shuttle bays that have access to the inside to transport the inhabitants and their possessions from one level to another. Because the sphere is built around the star the Valarians have unlimited power. The panels act as solar collectors of the star’s energy. The sphere is about 180 million miles across; plenty big for the Valarians and any future population growth.
The sphere at the equator is for recreational use. It is not permanently inhabited. This is where they set up the GTD Celebration. Not only are there the exhibits and entertainment in display, but there are a number of terra formed wonders to enjoy.
The Valarian’s love water. They absorb nutrients from it and have many lakes that are treated with these nutrients. For us humans, it is wonderful to swim in a crystal blue lake or a lovely aqua pool, but it is incredible to float in pink water that doesn’t let you sink and leaves you with a rosy glow afterward, both inside and out. There is a lime green pool that I particularly like. It is a bit of a walk to get to it, but worth every hour of it. There is a waterfall into it, lots of flowers and green around it. The water tastes like apples. After a swim and a mouth full from the falls, you could walk for days. You feel like you could wrestle an angry pit fighting Dar-dolf and come out on top.
The Valarian’s mix the air on the equatorial level with elements adapted to the breathers they issue for the GTD Celebration. It is adaptable to most of the species that visit during that time - if it isn’t then you wear a lightweight tank. The Valarian’s will refill it at one of the numerous mixing stations on the equatorial level.
The Valaria’s make a major part of their income from hosting the celebration, conducting navigational classes and selling their software for activation of the NAV beacons.
Valaria can be entered by shuttle through the bays on each tier or by dissention tube from your ship at dock in orbit as Daniel and I plan to do.

*****

004.05

There are numerous advantages to preregistering for the GTD celebration. If you just show up, you get stuck on, or in orbit around, one of Valaria’s three moons. That means you have to catch a shuttle to the planet and there are no overnight accommodations on Valaria, so you either spend most of your time shuttling back and forth, or you try to see as much as you can for as long as you can. The grounds are open full time for the equivalent of about a month earth time. So if you chose to spend say, 72 hours sightseeing, you are so tired you are a walking zombie by the time you get back to your ship.
However, if you preregister like Daniel did, months in advance, you get a lot of perks. You are assigned a dock within lower orbital space. With that dock you are assigned a number and the Valarians attach a dissention tube equipped with suits, helmets and programmable breathers. The tubes allow you to go and come as you please. A trip down is done in about 10 exhilarating minutes and the trip back up in just a little longer.
The tube is attached at one of the ship’s small access ports. You decompress the small room placed directly outside the port. When you open the port a number of breathers and suits, in the sizes you requested, are hung in the room. You program the breather for your species, don the suit and helmet and open the inner hatch to the tube platform. The platform keeps your rate of dissent to a non-catastrophic speed. You step in, put your back against the hugger on the wall of the tube, which naturally wraps itself comfortably around you, you slide the toes of your spacer boots under the hugger loops on the floor of the platform, once secure, all you have to do is release the platform and it is one exciting ride down into the planet. The tube works on compression for the trip back up, not nearly as much fun.
There are shopping advantages too with preregistration, always a plus for me. If you purchase something, you just give the clerk your dock number and it is delivered to your ship. No lugging around packages all day. Especially useful if you are in the market for something heavy, a new incinerator unit, prep unit or gun turrets.
And the main advantage is you have access to your ship. You have your own comfortable bed and food you are familiar with if you get tired of the exotic fare at the food courts. You can get the breather out of your nose and let it rest overnight. I have never been able to sleep very well on a breather. The night version is a full face model and I am too claustrophobic for that. The day version is just a nose apparatus, a bit uncomfortable but not so restrictive.
Daniel was so sure I would agree to bring him to GTD that he went so far as to register Ma-rye-a. We are going to have a great time. I can hardly wait!

*****

004.06

Daniel, the bodyguards and I were all in the reception room where the dissention tubes arrived on Valaria. Valarian’s were assisting us out of our suits and issuing us ear-bud translators. When we had them adjusted the receptionists secured our event bracelet, eGO, permanently to our arms. The eGO is waterproof and very durable. They are preprogrammed with your species language and alpha info. It is extremely important that you not lose it. Without your eGO there is no GTD celebration. Once secure, he/she (no telling between the two in their species) initiated the tutorial on it for us.
The eGO is very high tech. It does just about everything except cook you breakfast, but the way Daniel was playing with his I figured he would have it programmed to do that by the end of the day.
Among other things the eGO is your admission into all the events. One swipe and you can get all your purchased delivered to you ship. It contains the full schedule of events, maps and locations of your particular species’ restrooms and food preferences. The eGO is voice activated and programmed to work with your ear-bud so you can obtain directions to anyplace just by tapping the point on the map. And, for those of you who are more challenged when following directions there is a built in holographic map transport feature. Activate the feature and enlarge over the eGO and voila you get a “you are here” arrow. All you have to do is touch the point you want to go to and a transporter will show up to take you to your destination.
I was looking over Daniel’s shoulder trying to see what he was doing with his eGO. He had the schedule of events pulled up. “Looks like they scheduled me for cycle five in the evening to introduce the game.” That gave us about a week of playtime before he had to show up.
“Is that what you wanted?” I asked.
“Sure. It will give us time to look around a bit. See the sights. All I really have to do is show up and plug it in to the game system for distribution to the stations.” The game room at GTD is huge, really an exhibition hall – bank after bank of terminals with huggers for comfortable hours of play, plus flats for those just passing by and wanting to try something they saw over someone else’s shoulder. The main game program is fed into a server and can be accessed on all the systems. Heck, if you wanted you could just sit or stand and watch the enormous screen while everyone else played. Depending on the game and the players, sometimes that was like watching a good vid.
Each programmer that wants to introduce a game reserves a time on the game room stage. The room is theirs exclusively for the allotted time. Once their time is up the players can stick with that game until the next introduction or go back to a previous game. The programmer lays out any pertinent details of the game. The folks frequenting the gaming room are there to play, not read manuals.
“Let’s get something to eat,” Daniel said. He tapped his eGO. “They’re serving tube eel in zone six.”
Tube eel, not my idea of something special.
“And look, there’s a ZuKor chocolatier right across the quad.”
Now that was more like it. I could choke down tube eel if it was followed by a chaser of ZuKor chocolate.

*****

004.07

“Let’s take a ride out to your pool,” Daniel suggested.
“Don’t you want to see some of the show first?”
“Nope, I want to take a dip in that ‘green apple’ pool you’ve been going on about.” Daniel raised his eGO to his mouth and spoke, “TRANS – five, 2 human, 3 walhmite.” A red indicator light lit on the map showing where we were standing.
Within minutes a transport vehicle arrived. It was larger than most I had seen last time I was here, probably because Daniel had told dispatch we had 3 walhmites in tow. It was open cab since the day was so nice on this tier. Daniel located the pool on his holographic map. “Sector 9, Block 4, Green Pool,” he instructed the transport.
The TRANS pulled silently away from the curb. “TRANS - Top up,” Daniel requested.
“It’s such a nice day. Why don’t we leave it down?” I asked.
Daniel just held is finger to lips to indicate silence. When the top was up he removed a large black button from behind his lapel and stuck it to the roof.
“That will take care of any of their surveillance. Let me see your eGO.”
I held my arm over to him. He put his eGO up against mine and started tapping away. The holographic imagine that I first saw as part of the tutorial on the bracelet appeared.
“Initiate eGO I.D.” Daniel said. “Additional voice activation.”
Toland leaned forward over the back of the seats Daniel and I were sitting in. “Toland,” he intoned in his deep voice.
“Return to operational mode,” Daniel told my eGO.
“Did you just give Toland the right to use my eGO?” I protested. “The Valarian’s will fine us big time for tampering with their gear.”
“Toland won’t use it unless he has to, but I want him to have access in case he needs it.” Daniel leaned back in his seat.
“What about what I want? Toland can use his own fricken eGO,” I hissed between my clinched teeth.
“It’s done 3su.” Daniel stretched and settled in to enjoy the ride.
“Then undo it you rotten little puke,” I cuffed him on the shoulder.
“Can’t,” he stated flatly not seeming to take offense from my name calling. “Anyway, it’s for your own good.”
“Tell me why?” I almost shouted. Daniel had been cryptic about this whole trip. I just couldn’t believe that his damn game was so revolutionary.
Daniel reached up, took the button off the ceiling and secured it behind his lapel again. “TRANS – top down.” He put his finger to his lips again for silence, leaned back in the warmth of the sun and closed his eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close