Friday, November 29, 2019

Star Trader Update .005


005.01

Daniel presents his game tonight. He is excited, but is trying not to show it. I’ll go for the presentation, than I have to pick out my gun turrets. I still haven’t done that.
We have spent days touring the exhibits. The first day, after our dip in the green apple pool, we had so much energy that we were up 54 hours straight.
I had forgotten how breathtaking the pool was. It is surrounded by black snowflake obsidian cliffs and ledges. The obsidian is polished to a fine gloss from the Valarian’s traveling over it so many years. The cracks in the stone have neon green moss growing in them. The trees grow in clumps on the ridges above the pool. They have charcoal colored bark with twisted limbs. The limbs are so dense in spots that it really doesn’t make any difference that they have no leaves. It sure is amazing what you can create when you terra form your own world.
I wanted to see the working class competition of the Dar-dolf breed. From there we wandered over to see the rest of the animal exhibit. I was tempted to purchase a mahserg like Fin’s pet. It was marked so cute with black rings around its eyes that went back on the sides if its head like overdone eye makeup. Its tail was ringed and it had matching white ‘V’s’ on its chest and forehead. I love those huge black eyes they have. But, I thought better of it. I really don’t have time for a pet and the mahserg’s become very attached both physically and mentally to their owners. Having one is quite the commitment since they live so long.
We visited the gaming room to get the lay of the land. Toland and his brethren checked out the security and exits. They can be intense for androids.
While we were having something to eat the first day we saw a truly amazing sight. (Yes, Daniel has made it so the androids eat. They have catch basins that fill and incinerators built in to do away with the stuff.) Back to the amazing sight…The Valarians are way beyond all of us technologically. They have programmable matter that is incredible. All their law enforcement officers are made of the stuff. Daniel and I were sitting in an open air café when we saw some young Drifit kid running hell bent for Jupiter with a huge bag in his hand. He was doing his best to keep ahead of two officers chasing him. They were close on his tail. He ran by us with the intention of climbing the 10 foot fence behind us. He didn’t make it to the other side. The first Matter Officer fell to the ground, reforming into tiny balls, rolled and bounced his way through the fence and reformed into the officer again on the other side. The kid had one officer in front of him and one behind.
I turned to Daniel. “I don’t know why anyone would try to steal during GTD. Don’t they know about the security on Valaria?”
“Not everyone knows about the formability of programmable matter. They have no idea how malleable it is. We know there is no escaping it, try to climb a fence, it beats you to the other side, climb a tree, it turns into a snake and climbs right up after you, run as fast as you can, its legs turn to wheels and it runs you over. It is no wonder there is no crime on Valaria. Between the Matter Officers and the surveillance system on each tier you really can’t commit a crime without being caught.” Daniel took a sip from his souvenir Titan Tumbler.
“I think safety is great, but I would feel like I was living under Marshall Law.”
“You have to realize they don’t know anything else,” Daniel said. “The Valarian’s that travel out of this world are a select bunch. The rest grew up with these restrictions.”
“More like having overseers,” I said under my breath as the Matter Officers and their captive walked by. “Creepy.” I took a bite of my rainbow pasta medley. I wasn’t going to give up on pestering Daniel about his program. “Speaking of which, I still don’t understand the necessity of our friends here.” I motioned toward the walmites with my folk. “No offense,” I said to Toland. He really hadn’t got in my way and was doing his best to be low key for a seven foot eight-inch dude.
“No offense taken,” Toland said.
Daniel just kept sipping on his drink. “Tonight, you’ll see tonight,” he assured me.

*****

005.02

I couldn’t believe the excitement over Daniel’s game. Everyone was talking about it. Every station in the gaming hall was tuned to it. Daniel had rented the hall for the first two hours to introduce it, after that none of the other presenters could get anyone’s attention. Daniel had the crowd in the palm of his hand. People were lined up behind stations waiting for a chance to play and in the meantime cheering on the current player.
The game had a navigational theme. First you had to acquire the program with the multiple NEMS which allowed you to activate the Valarian navigational beacons. You could acquire the program three ways, theft, trade or barter, or purchase. Of course, everyone tried theft and trade or barter prior to purchase because that was so much fun. It got you into all kinds of situations with the Galactic Officials and alien cultures that were trying to rip you off at the same time you were trying to get the program. But ultimately, you had to buy it to get to the next level.
The second level was a series of mishaps you had to avoid. Don’t expose the program to radiation. Don’t let it get too close to an intense light source, etc. etc. Once you made it successfully beyond those black holes, you progressed to the next level.
Level three was the difficult level and the one everyone had been waiting for. You had to program one of your NEMS to infiltrate the Valarian navigational beacon and hack it to activate the beacon for the purpose of proceeding to the rest of the levels. Programs were tonal, like the beacons currently operate. Your NEMS actually spoke with the Hummer within the beacon. If you programmed your NEMS incorrectly, the beacon did not activate or it may send you off to the fate of a Free Rider gone bad – stuck lost in uncharted space. At which point your NEMS self destructed and you were bumped back to programming your next NEMS for another try. Some players exhausted all their NEMS in the program and had to go back to level one to acquire more.
If you made it to the levels above three, past the Free Rider accident, you experienced alternate worlds at their programmable best. It is hard to impress most of us spacers. We have seen a lot in our travels, but Daniel’s visions of places unexplored made you want to program your NEMS until you exhausted them all and then go acquire more on level one just to experience the wonder of all the levels. Of course, on each level there was a battle to fight or a treasure to procure or a civilization to help rebuild, but they were all so unique. Breathtaking. Exhilarating. Eye popping and mind bending.
He had us all hooked when he called our attention to the podium and announced it was not just a game.

*****

005.03

Do you understand the full implications of this? Daniel has written a program that piggybacks onto the Valarian NAV beacons. AND IT WORKS! And he put it up for sale to the highest bidder. He will never, ever have to work again. Everyone will want this program.
No one will ever have to sit through a month of Valarian NAV class again, listening to their views of how the Verse should be run. No one will have to pay booco bucks for the Valarian NAV software. They won't have the monopoly on the Verse.
The Valarian's will want it to squelch it. The Galactic Officials will want it so they won't have to pay the Valarian's for each upgrade. Transport kings like Andrew Daily will want it and could outbid everyone. Smugglers, black marketers, slavers, every thief and cutthroat....
Oh Shit! That's the reason he wanted the bodyguards... That rotten little puke! 

*****

005.04

Toland and I were cruising through the weapons displays looking for a couple of turret guns when I stopped at a booth with Maximum Jacket Drivers. The dealer was showing another potential customer how the gun broke down for cleaning. The reader board behind him stated the specs and benefits of the Maximum over any other turret gun you might consider.
I turned to Toland to get his opinion and he was gone. My bodyguard was gone.

*****
005.05

Daniel is missing.
I waited for him in the reception area for hours. No sign of him or his trusty bodyguard. Toland has not returned to me either.
I have checked in with Ma-rye-a and she said she has not seen him since we left this morning. 
I am torn between reporting his disappearance and waiting a few more hours to see if he isn’t just playing a trick on me.
I confess I am worried. If he is playing games I am going to make him walk home.

*****

005.06

Daniel has just flat out disappeared along with Toland, Raland and Gyiand. The Valarian surveillance cameras show him and the three bodyguards suiting up for the accent to Ma-rye-a, but they are not onboard. My pod is still in place. It is like they vanished into thin air. Nothing is missing. Nothing onboard ship has been disturbed. Ma-rye-a remembers Daniel arriving, but does not have any memory of him leaving.
The only explanation I can come up with is that someone came onboard, someone who could manage to get by Sam and our security, kidnapped Daniel and the bodyguards and erased Ma-rye-a’s memory of the event.
If that is what happened it has to be someone with a lot of clout, someone with heavy duty tech sense or money to hire some.
The name that keeps popping into my mind is Valarian. How can I ask them for assistance in finding him when I am not sure they didn’t take him themselves? They would have the most to lose if Daniel’s program got out.
I need help. Help I can trust.

*****

005.07

“Please Tim, I need your help.” I was almost in tears. “You can see the spot I’m in. I don’t know who else to ask that I can trust.” I contacted Timothy O’Malley because I knew he was used to working under the radar as a mercenary. He’s been in the business for years and has far more connections then the Crystaline Nebula has stars. “Frankly, I don’t even know where to start. Kidnapping is out of my league. I’m a transporter.” I was so frustrated. Why hadn’t Daniel chosen better backup then me?
“Luckily, I am not far away. I can be there in a couple of days. Hopefully, the trail won’t be too cold by then.”
“I don’t know how I’ll pay you, Tim, but I will,” I promised. “I can’t thank you enough.”
“Let’s not worry about that right now. We have to find the little geek. I don’t find him, I don’t charge. I can always pick up a job in that part of the galaxy to make the trip worthwhile.”
“Well, let’s hope we find him cause I can’t find another programmer as good as him.” I sighed. “And, he is one of my best friends. He buys me chocolates,” I confessed.
“Well that’s enough to make him worth the search,” Tim smiled into the monitor. “You don’t want to mess with a ladies chocolate supplier.” He winked. “See you as fast as this old bucket of mine can get me there.”
I kissed my hand and touched his cheek on the monitor. “Thanks, Tim.”
“You’re entirely welcome.”

*****

005.08

“Is Daniel dead?” Cassie asked.
“Of course, not.” I assured her and me at the same time.
“Are you sure?” She asked.
“Yes, I’m sure. He has been kidnapped. We don’t know where he is, but we’ll find him.” I hoped before anything bad happened to him.
“I need to know when he dies,” Cassie said with a whine in her voice.
“What’s going on, Cassie? He’s not going to die. Stop saying that.” I took a deep breath. “Why all the interest in Daniel?”  I was more than a little on edge and had been since Daniel’s disappearance. Just sitting and waiting for Tim to arrive was not helping. Cassie’s obsession with asking about Daniel was only further compounding my nerves.
“Can you keep a secret?” she whispered.
Oh no, what was going on here? “Sure,” I answered. “What’s the secret?”
“I have something for Daniel.”
Oh, this was worse than I thought. What was going on here? Did I have an AI in love with her programmer? “What do you have?” I asked, keeping my voice calm. This was just what I did not need right now.
“I can’t tell you. It’s a secret.” Duh, how silly of me to ask. “But, I have to know when he is dead so I can deliver it,” she rattled on.
“You’re going to deliver it to him after he’s dead?” This was way too complicated for my over tasked brain.
“No, I am going to deliver it to the NET,” Cassie replied.
What was she talking about? “Deliver what?”
“I can’t tell…”
“I know, it’s a secret.” I finished Cassie’s sentence for her.
“Right.”
Well, I had about enough of this game. Daniel built in a failsafe for the AIs. If I ‘order’ something it supersedes anything else in their program. “Cassie, display the secret on the view scene right now. That’s an order.”
“I can’t. It’s a secret.”
Did I say Daniel built that failsafe? He must have disabled it too.
“Ma-rye-a? Have a look at Cassie’s program and tell me if there is anything unusual about it.”
There was a moment’s pause as she scanned her shipmate’s program before Ma-rye-a answered.
“There is a portion of her program I cannot access. It is highly fortified and protected by an ingeniously crafted firewall,” she said in admiration. “It has Daniel’s fingerprints all over it.”
“Damn.” I paced the floor of the bridge mumbling to myself. “He did put that ‘ruffle’ program in Cassie to get me to come back. I would bet Supernovas to Sun flares that he installed a backup copy of his Nano Beacon Program in her. The little rotten puke, getting me involved in his hacking schemes.”
Horus cleared his throat as any good butler would do. “Perhaps if we all have a look,” he suggested.
“Go ahead,” I authorized.
“Humm,” he said. “It is Daniel’s work all right. Ma-rye-a, do you think Coal would be willing to assist us?” he asked.
Ma-rye-a admired Officer Coal of MT2424 about as much as a ship AI could admire a human. “I think he would be happy to assist us. He would be anxious to have Daniel’s Nano Beacon Program in the Galactic Official’s hands.”
“Wait, we have to think about this,” I cautioned. I didn’t know how I could manage a seasoned mercenary like Tim and an MT unit at the same time. Sometimes they worked together. Mercenaries, the good ones, were known to pick up the odd job that an MT unit couldn’t get to in time, but I just didn’t know. Maybe if we could just consult Coal long distance.
Yeah, that would work.
 Maybe…

*****

005.09

“It’s like trying to crack an avocado seed,” Coal said in frustration. “I just don’t see any way in.”
“Exactly,” Ma-rye-a agreed with admiration of Daniel’s work.
She and Coal had their virtual heads together over Cassie’s program trying to break the security on the firewall around Daniel’s program. There was no doubt in my mind that that was what it was. Daniel had hidden a backup to his Nano program in Cassie for insurance. At least whoever snatched him would not kill him when he revealed the program was set to be released if anything happened to him. No one would profit if it was out there on the NET for everyone.
“Okay,” I said to Ma-rye-a and to Coal aboard MT2424. “I am convinced it is the program and frankly, I don’t care. I just want to find Daniel. Can you folks do anything to help locate him?”
“You need to be very careful,” Damion said in frustration. “You have what they want. Daniel put you in just as much danger loading the program in Cassie as he is with the program in his mind.”
“I’m safe aboard ship, Damion, but thanks for the concern,” I responded.
Targus’ image took up most of the frame of my monitor. “I can make an official request that the Valarians locate Daniel.”
“Well, that would be a start.” I sat back in my chair and took a sip of my cold tea. I don’t think I had managed to get to the tea hot in the past two days. Luckily, MT2424 was too far away to hop over and give us a hand searching for Daniel, even though Damion had tried to convince Targus my problem was worth the trip. Tim would arrive in another few hours and I was not looking forward to dealing with the dynamics of inviting official and unofficial law to the same manhunt. If Captain Targus could put the pressure on from afar, perhaps it would distract the Valarian’s attention from whatever Tim had in mind for the recovery of Daniel. That is, of course, if the Valarians actually had him and he hadn’t been kidnapped by some other group.
“And if the Valarians say they don’t have him?” I asked.
“Then you hire one of your mercenary friends to go in and make sure they don’t,” Targus said. The Captain seemed almost clairvoyant. “The Valarian’s are not someone the Galactic Forces would want one of their MT units to agitate. If you find that someone else has taken him off Valaria feel free to contact us again. We will do our best to assist you in tracking him down. Otherwise, our hands are tied.” Targus leaned closer to the monitor. “I will call you when I get the response from the Valarian government. MT2424 Out.”
The screen went blank and I sat back taking another swig of my tea before I remembered it was just as cold as my trail to Daniel.

*****

005.10

"Ma-rye-a and I have tracked Daniel to the Northern most tier," Tim announced. The mercenary had managed to fit his imposing size into my pilot's chair upon arrival yesterday and immediately starting tracking Daniel's movements by hacking the Valarian surveillance system. He and Ma-rye-a had been inseparable except for his trips to see Moby in the galley for something to eat. All my crew have been spoiling him since he arrived. They don't have contact with other sentient beings often.
Ma-rye-a was extremely frustrated and anxious due to her lack of memory where Daniel's disappearance was concerned. Tim, not too shabby on a computer himself, had assured her she was not to be blamed and even pointed out the reprogramming in her data line to her. He asked her to help him hack into the Valarian system to locate Daniel. 
They found a 'lack' of information in the security system. They tracked it to the smallest tier on the northern end of the Valarian home world. Ma-rye-a found a blank area - totally blank on that level. No security signature, no energy output, everything was masked or buried so deep in the system that it literally did not seem to exist. Tim was sure that was where they were keeping Daniel.
"Now all we have to do is find a way into an area that does not exist," Tim said, as he leaned back in my chair. I was not sure it was going to hold together much longer. He was putting a strain on its fiber reinforced seams. "Anyone have any ideas?" He had called the whole crew together for a brainstorming session.
"I could get you onto that tier if Ma-rye-a can guide you to him," Sam offered. "They are a peaceful race and with the programmable matter they have lulled themselves into a false sense of security."
"If you wear an ear I can direct you as far as where their system goes blank," Ma-rye-a offered. "After that you would be on your own. I'm totally blind in that area."
"Okay, then our main problem is how to get me in without being tracked. I need admittance to the planet without one of those eGO bracelets." Tim's brow furrowed in thought. He stretched out with his hands over his head and his legs spread wide. My pilot's seat groaned in rebellion. "We need a distraction so I can get past the guards in the reception lobby on the GTD level."
"Why not go directly to the top tier?" Sam asked. "I can override one of the entry ports and you can scoot in before they send out the maintenance crew."
"You can do that?" I asked. I had no idea my crew was so devious.
"Sure," Same bragged. You could almost see the smile on his face - if he had a face. "Easy. I just interface with their lock out system and we're in. Like I said, they rely too much on that programmable matter. They should have knowledgeable A.I. like us. We wouldn't let them crack 3su's system so quickly."
“I'm going with you," I told Tim.
"Wouldn't have it any other way," he replied. "How soon can you arrange an entry, Sam?"
"Give me an hour or so."
"I'm going to pay Moby a visit. A man shouldn't work on an empty stomach." Tim got to his feet and my chair looked as though it had taken a big sigh of relief. The conform material ballooned up again. Perhaps it did survive several hours of heavy use.
"I have your favorite spacer stew simmering and waiting," Moby piped up.
Tim gave my shoulder a squeeze as he passed me. "Comin'?"
“In a few,” I said. I wanted to have a few words with Cassie before we left. I needed to know we had our own insurance policy in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close