Saturday, March 14, 2020

Star Trader Update .018


018.01

“It’s part of the deal,” I said as I stood hands on hips trying to reflect my determination. “I contact my people so they don’t go off halfcocked and call in back-up to evac me.”
            “What assurances do I have you will not signal them somehow to come in anyway?” Aldobi-rand asked.
            “You have my blaster. You have a dead body. Do you really need more?” I asked, frustrated.
I needed to get to the pod. It would do me no good to run, Aldobi-rand would just turn me in. I was sure of that. He was just controlling enough to keep his promise whether he benefitted from it or not. I intended to palm the detonation device for my blaster that Sam made me. If all else failed I wouldn’t be framed for murder. No blaster, no tracing Mulott to me. At least not for certain.
            “I also have my spacer boots in the pod. If TiSenge wants a warrior princess, I can give him Warrior Princess.”  Besides, I far preferred my spacer boots to the lightweight leather boots of Arr’s if I was caught in another fight.

            “Then we are agreed?” Aldobi-rand asked.
            “If I get to contact my people, you get your bride,” I confirmed.
            Aldobi-rand extended his hand. “I believe it is your custom to shake on an agreement. You can be trusted to uphold your end, can you not?” He asked with a questioning lift of his eyebrow.
            I put my hand in his. “I always keep my word.”
            “We will leave for your ‘pod’ at nightfall.”
            With a wave of his hand I was dismissed back into the care of my guards to be returned to my
room until nightfall.

*****

018.02           

The dresarge was even more formidable in person. It ripped and gnawed at the bars of its cage. It snarled at me, switching its tail back and forth sending clouds of straw bedding material into the air.
            We were in the stables below the palace. We came down the inner staircase as soon as night fell. I could see there was a wide set of stairs leading up to the courtyard and out of the palace.
            “Easy little one,” Aldobi-rand soothed.
Little one? The beast was practically as big as my pod.
He reached through the bars and stroked the huge animal in the middle of one of its foreheads. “My sweet girl,” he cooed.
            She leaned one head against the bar as the other kept a close eye on me. A deep rumbling purr literally shook the airspace around us.
            “That’s my girl.” He dug his fingers into the fur between her heads and gave it a gentle tug.
            The purring head drooled. The other growled down deep in its throat at me.
            The young man opened the cage door. His hand slid over the nearest head of the beast, down its neck and along her side. He grabbed a handful of fur as he slid his leg over her back. He reached out his hand to me.
            “Come,” he commanded.
            “Ride?”
I don’t know what I thought was going to happen, but it certainly was not me riding a dresarge.
            “How else did you think we are to get to your pod?” He shook his extended hand at me impatiently.
            I stepped forward. The head closest to me growled and snapped at me. I jerked back in fright.
            “Down!” Aldobi-rand commanded as he yanked on the fur at the side of the beasts face. “No!”
            “Again,” he commanded and extended his hand toward me. “Be brave,” he ordered. “She can smell your fear.”
            “I am not afraid,” I lied.
Just quaking in my boots and almost peed my pants.
            I took a wide birth of the heads and came in to the side. I grabbed Aldobi-rand’s hand. He yanked me up to sit astride the dresarge in front of him.
            “Point your toes into her side and grip with your legs. Her skin will roll as she moves.”
            Roll? If Aldobi-rand had not held me tight he would have left me on the stairs as we exited the stables.

*****

018.03            

Ma-rye-a didn’t argue.
She didn’t question.
She did listen.
She did record.
She did analysis.
            “I am going to stay down here for a few days, maybe a week,” I said. “Not to worry if it even extends up to two. Aldobi-rand is a great host. Tell Cassie I’m going to wear the new outfit.”
            “Understood, Captain,” Ma-rye-a answered and with that answer I knew she did truly understand. Help would be forthcoming as soon as she could get them here.
            I palmed the detonator and locked the pod. It disappeared again before Aldobi-rand’s wide-eyed gaze as it recloaked.
            “It is a miracle how you people live, yet you take it as an everyday occurrence,” Aldobi-rand commented as he pulled me back up on the dresarge in front of him. “If I had your technology I could rule this world.”
            Right…And you’re not getting it from me, bud!

*****

018.04            

“She did what?” Jake exclaimed.
            “With all due respect, I must defend her decision to smuggle the painting in. We thought at the time, that the payment was well worth the risk,” Horus said trying to calm Jake’s ire. “In retrospect it was not a wise choice.”
            “Really,” Jake said in a sarcastic tone. “She just thought she would take a leisurely trip down to Alta III without incident?”
            “Whatever happened was unexpected,” Ma-rye-a chimed in.
            “That’s the reason the Galactic Officials put Alta III off limits. Just setting foot on the planet creates the unexpected.” Jake ran his hands through his hair dark, curly hair in agitation. Arr, Jake’s partner, placed his hand on Jake’s shoulder – to comfort or calm was not clear to Ma-rye-a or her fellow crew members. Jake’s outrage was a surprise to 3su’s crew. They were told he would help.
“Do you have any idea what she has gotten herself into?” Jake asked.
            “She wasn’t able to say,” Sam answered. “Aldobi-rand was with her. We could see him in the background. He obviously has her doing something she doesn’t want to. We all agreed before she left that if she called and said she was staying longer than three days we should seek help.”
            Ma-rye-a jumped in. “Since she not only said a week, but then amended her statement to two weeks we all felt it was imperative we contact you immediately.”
            “She said you would know how to proceed without involving the Galactic Officials,” Horus added.
            “I’ll proceed alright,” Jake growled. “We’ll pull her butt out of the fire. Then I’m going to tan it red for being so stupid.”

*****

018.05            

Fatu fastened the shackles on my wrists. He was just a little taller than me and about twenty years younger. He wore a stern look on his face which his very long braided mustache and bushy dark eyebrows did not soften. Salib, Fatu’s superior not only in age but in rank, stood by. If I had to guess he was about sixty with salt and pepper hair, he pulled back in a ponytail with a leather thong. His face was disfigured by a long scar that ran the length of it on the right side where he must have taken a sword blow that almost killed him. He was tall and wiry like some men get as they age - all skin and bone, no fat.
            Salib grabbed the length of chain between my cuffs and shook it to assure himself that his sub-ordinate had them tightly fastened. He ran his hand down my back over the soft fabric of my spacer suit. Satisfied, he shoved me toward the door.
            Earlier I was provided with access to a bathing area stocked with soaps, oil and perfume. I was given my suit and boots and told to make myself presentable for my presentation to TiSenge.
            My entourage and I proceeded down the stairs and through the maze of hallways to Aldobi-rand’s chambers. Upon arrival I was unceremoniously pushed to my knees at the young ruler-to-be’s feet.
            Aldobi-rand took a deep breath and inhaled. He ran his hand over my hair and on down to the fabric on the shoulder of my suit and squeezed. I was getting really tired of being ‘man handled.’
            “I thought I was going to be TiSenge’s property,” I said. “Best not damage the goods.”
            Rather than pulling his hand away he gripped more firmly and pulled me to my feet.
            “You will have to hold your tongue where you are going or you will feel the lash. TiSenge will not be as gentle with you as I have been.”
            Gentle? Right… Have me attacked… Blackmail me… Sell me as a slave… A physical beating would have been less painful.
            He leaned in closer and whispered in my ear.
            “I will be watching. I have eyes even among TiSenge’s followers.”
            “Take her to TiSenge. Give him this with my regards.” Aldobi-rand handed Salib a sealed letter. “Tell him I wish only peace between our tribes and as proof I send him a slave capable of protecting his harem as well as providing pleasure.”
            “As you wish, my lord,” Salib acknowledged with a bow.
            “He will think it is a trick. You must point out her finer details. Convince him that if he does not want her for a bed partner that she could be valuable to him in other ways… she is from off world…she possessed a vast amount of knowledge…she is a skilled fighter,” Rand posed for a moment in thought. “But, be sure to point out her lovely pale skin color. I am told he likes white meat and even keeps an albino in his harem.”
            Yuk! Great, just great.
            Rand caressed my check gently with the back of his hand. “I will be waiting for you and your delivery. See that no matter what Salib says, or TiSenge believes, you do not return empty handed.”
            My keepers led me out to the front of the palace where a two-wheeled cart drawn by a pair of lithe dresarges with speckled coats was waiting. They looked like huge two headed cheetahs. The cart was equipped with a top and three sides of canvas to shade its passengers from the sun. Fatu handed me up into the cart then climbed up behind me. We both sat on a padded bench attached to the cart's floor. He took up the reins.
            Salib mounted a large dresarge not unlike Aldobi-rand’s. He took up point and our little band of three started for TiSenge’s palace, a full day’s ride to the east.

*****

018.06            

It was sweltering out on the desert between the two tribe’s strongholds. I considered myself extremely lucky I was able to convince Rand to let me retrieve my spacer suit. Most suits were equipped with some type of internal temperature control. I knew I was coming to an arid planet when I ordered this one and paid top money for the premier IT unit. A girl doesn’t want to look ‘limp’ when she arrives. Little did I know it was going to get such an intense workout.
            Fatu passed me the skin of water. I waved it away.
            “I need a potty break before I can drink anymore,” I confessed.
            Fatu whistled to Salib, who pulled to a stop in front of us.
            “She needs bush time,” Fatu called to his superior.
            Salib nodded and turned his back on us to look out over the barren landscape.
            “There,” Fatu pointed.
            Sure enough, it was a clump of bushes. Not enough to cover me from head to toe, but enough to cover me in a squat. I hopped down. Fatu followed.
            “I’m not going to run,” I assured him. I waved my shackled arms around me taking in the desolate area as far as the eye could see. “Where the hell would I run?”
            In spite of my statement he continued to follow me. When I reached the bushes, he did the gentlemanly thing and turned his back.
            “Whatever possessed you to come here?” Fatu asked over his shoulder quietly. “You should have known better. The charts have this planet in red for a good reason.”
            This guy was not from around here. “Who are you?” I asked.
            “Someone who knew what he was getting into when he came here,” he said for my ears only.
            I finished but remained down so I could talk to him a little longer.
            “You actually chose to come here?”
            “More like assigned,” Fatu admitted.
            Oh, shit! He was with the G.O. - an undercover agent.
            “Damn,” I hissed under my breath.
            “Yeah, you can say that again.”
            Salib whistled without turning around. I guess it was not appropriate for even my captors to see my female butt. Fatu whistled back.
            “Come on,” he said.
            I zipped and came out to walk beside him.
            “You took a big chance telling me,” I said under my breath. “I could blow your cover and give Salib something else to think about other than me.”
            “You better think twice about doing that if you want any help getting out of this mess you got yourself in.” That was all Fatu could say before we were within earshot of Salib and climbed back into the cart.

*****

018.07            

We stopped mid-day just before the time of the eclipses. Salib pounded a stake into the ground and tied his dresarge. Fatu did the same with the cart team. Salib uprooted a dead bush and found a dead tree where he was able to remove a branch. He built a fire. Fatu rolled three large stones into position around it. Salib and I picked seats across from each other and sat down.
Fatu retrieved a sack from the cart. He cut cheese from a half-round and passed us each an apple. Salib tore off a hunk of bread for each of us from a loaf wrapped in cloth. We ate in silence as the time for the eclipses approached.
Salib threw another branch on the fire.
            “Think we have enough wood?” Fatu asked.
            Salib poked at the pile he gathered earlier. “We could use more.”
            Fatu rose. He drew his scimitar and went to forage.
            I wanted to learn as much about this dark period as I could. In my original plan I was going to take advantage of this time to escape with Keela. Now that Fatu seemed to be at least partially in the picture I might have to adjust.
            “Do you fear the followers of Parnac here?” I asked.
            “The followers are Altans. They do not venture beyond the wall of the city during the dark time. It is not Parnac’s followers you should fear out here, it is Parnac himself. His home is the desert during the dark time,” Salib informed me.
            Fatu returned with another bush he hacked off at the base and some more dead wood from the fallen tree Salib scavenged from earlier.
            “Then you two were brave to volunteer to deliver me to TiSenge when you knew you would be out here during the dark time,” I said.
            “You do not refuse Aldobi-rand when he asks you to do something,” Salib answered before tearing off another hunk of bread.
            “Even if it is a fool’s errand,” Fatu groused as he sat back down at my side.
            “Silence,” Salib ordered.
            “You and I both know this will never work,” Fatu went on, ignoring his senior’s command. “No amount of your persuasive talk will convince TiSenge this is not a trick. He is going to see right through Aldobi-rand’s deception.”
            “I said quiet,” Salib said through clenched teeth as he rose to his feet.
            Fatu came to his feet too. “She doesn’t deserve this,” he countered. “She thought she was delivering a picture. Instead, she is sucked into a bid for power. You and I both know she most likely will not make it to the harem, instead she will end up in the inquisitor’s hands and from there the executioner’s.”
            Salib looked up at the moon cluster as the smallest moon started slowly to black out the sun’s light. “You are affected by the dark time,” he said with resignation. “I will excuse your insolence.” He threw another branch on the fire and sat down closer to the source of light.
            “Perhaps,” Fatu acknowledged as the light dimmed further. He too sat and huddled closer. The approaching darkness brought an unexpected chill to the air.
            The light breeze that was with us all day seemed to abruptly stop. The air was still and everything was silent. The chirping of the insects which I only subconsciously heard earlier was gone. The rhythmic flap of the material of the cart cover in the breeze was gone. The constant background noise of the dresarge talking to one another was gone. It was creepy. The hair on the back of my neck and arms lifted involuntarily.
            Salib heaped another pile of brush on the fire. The flames licked up and sent a shower of sparks into the air. Fatu sat with his sword across his knees. Salib drew his and placed it beside him leaning on the rock he was perched on. I wished I had a sword, or better yet, my blaster. These two men didn’t make this seem like superstition at all. The fear in them was palatable.
            The sun was fully behind the small moon by now. There was still dim light during this eclipse because of the moon's size. Once it passed and the sun went behind the two larger moons there would be total darkness for nine minutes and thirty-two seconds. I timed it yesterday.
            The sun started to uncover. It was as though everyone, including the dresarge took a deep breath, but then the sun started to slip behind the larger moon closest to it…and the light began to fade.
            There was part of me that wanted to move away from the light. My instincts told me I was a target out in the open next to the only light, but these bold men only hugged the fire tighter as the eclipse grew darker. As the last bit of light faded I heard all three dresarge growl deep in their throats then fall abruptly silent. The rumble seemed to vibrate the ground we sat upon. If they could truly smell fear, as Aldobi-rand told me, then they were reacting to us. I kept telling myself it was only superstition, but what did I know. This was an alien planet. Home rules did not apply.
            We all three sat huddled around the fire. The only movement was when one of the men tossed more fuel on the blaze. My pupils were so contracted from staring into the flames that I couldn’t see anything beyond the fire. Even though I told myself it was foolish I couldn’t help being jumpy.
            I cleared my throat and would have said something except for Fatu’s silencing hand on my knee. He shook his head when I looked at him.
            I looked at my watch. The chains of my shackles rattled. Salib reached over and grabbed them to silence the sound, then leaned back again to be closer to the safety of his sword. Just a little over six minutes left.
            I felt a slight movement around my ankles. I sprang to my feet with a yelp. Both men jumped up. When I looked down there was nothing to be seen, but I could have sworn there was something slithering around my ankles. Fatu pulled me back down to my seat on the stone beside him. Five minutes left.
            Off in the distance I could hear moaning. I could see that the two men heard it too. They exchanged fugitive glances before Salib made some gesture I did not understand and Fatu grabbed me from behind. He lifted me bodily and ran toward the cart. He pushed me to my knees.
            “Get under and don’t come out until it’s over,” he hissed.
            I crawled under the cart as Fatu pulled the canvas sides down and secured them quickly to the wheels of the cart by their corners. Meanwhile Salib was doing the best he could in the dark to hammer in some sort of stakes that hooked over the cart wheels and secured the vehicle to the ground. Fatu brought all three of the dresarge over and placed them on the far side of the cart, the side toward the moan which continued to grow louder by the moment.
            I looked at my watch. I could barely see it in the dim light thrown by the fire several feet away, but I thought there was only three or four minutes to go before we would start seeing light again. What was that awful sound?
            A few moments more and the men joined me beneath the cart, one on either side. Fatu tore a strip off the bottom of his robe. He wet it from the water skin Salib handed him. He handed it to me.
            “Tie it over you face, quickly,” he said in an urgent voice.
            The moan built into a roar. I could feel the ground shaking.
            Salib was wetting the end of his robe which he pulled up over his head.
            Fatu just managed to get his robe in place over his head when the sandstorm hit. The cart rocked violently over our heads. I buried my head in an air pocket created by Fatu’s robe and his protective out thrust arm over me.
            It was over relatively quickly, though it seemed forever. As soon as the light began to filter through the floor boards of the cart above the sandstorm started to die. By the time it was totally light again, it stopped.
Salib, who was on the side facing the storm’s approach was totally buried. The fabric of the cart had ripped and the sand was dumped on him in a dune. I dug frantically at where I knew his head should be. Fatu clawed his way out on the far side and circled around in hopes of getting to Salib from outside, but the smaller dresarge were there and piled deep below a dune of sand against the cart wheels. Fatu couldn’t reach him. When I finally managed to uncover him, I could see he was gone. His face was shoved down by the weight of the sand. He was without air for easily ten minutes. There would be no bringing him back.
The two small dresarge were dead, also smothered by the sand. The larger dresarge that Salib was riding rose and shook off the sand blanketed over it. It pawed at its face trying to clear the sand from its eyes, nose and ears. If the sandstorm was somehow generated by the eclipse it was a good thing it had not come sooner. If it was longer in duration, we would not have survived. We all would have smothered.

*****
018.08

Fatu stood brushing his hands through the fur of the large dresarge, trying to shake out as much of the sand as possible.
“Their lashes help keep the sand out of their eyes and they can close their nostrils to keep it out as well,” he explained. “Much better adapted to life on this planet than we are,” he said as he looked over toward the mound where we placed Salid under a pile of stones we gathered.
Fatu removed my shackles as soon as I emerged from under the cart. I was helping by picking up what remained of our supplies as we talked.
“Salib was a good man even if his allegiance was misguided.” He pulled a water skin from the sand. Damp sand clung to its sides. It was empty. “Did you find any skins still intact?”
“Two,” I said and indicated them with the nod toward the things I placed on the cart canvas next to them, the hunk of cheese – still edible if we cut off the sandy portions, two apples and the worthlessly sandy bread remnant.
“That will get us back to Kadear. We need to get you out of here,” he stated flatly.
“He has my blaster.”
“I’ll get that somehow.”
“I’m not leaving without my blaster,” I said with conviction.
“You can buy another.”
As much as I wanted to trust Fatu he was a Galactic Official and could turn me in for losing my blaster, and murder if Aldobi-rand pressed charges. I had another plan. I don’t like leaving loose ends. I didn’t like the thought of contributing to Aldobi-rand’s plot to take over this planet.
“I have a better idea,” I said to Fatu as I sat down on one of the stones left by the fire pit. “You take me to Mazala. I present myself to TiSenge. I tell him I escaped from you and Salib. Aldobi-rand’s spy in TiSenge’s tribe reports that I am there and appear to be worming my way in, though not quite as planned. Rand does not turn me in to the G.O. for murder. You go home and report Salib’s death and present our revised plot to infiltrate TiSenge’s inner circle saying that the letter he sent with us was lost and you did not feel your powers of persuasion were as finely tuned as Salib’s. That keeps your cover story in place. I give Keela a heads up on her lover’s plans for her father’s tribe. You get my blaster. I come back. Retrieve my blaster from you and leave, never to be seen again.”
“Great except for one major flaw,” Fatu said as he picked up the corners of the canvas and tied them together with a bit of rope from the trashed cart covering. “The reason for my mission on Alta III is twofold - see that technology does not fall into the hands of the populace and that no outside force influences the course of the planet’s evolution. I think I can retrieve your blaster. But you, my dear, are altering the playing field in a major way if you succeed in contacting Keela and informing her of Aldobi-rand’s intentions. Things must continue without insider knowledge. He will end up ruling this whole planet one day. Of that I have no doubt.”
“Okay,” I conceded. I wanted to avert a dictatorship, but short of that I was happy with just getting my blaster and hightailing it out of here. “I’ll go to Mazala long enough to do a little information gathering for you and play for enough time so you can get my blaster back or destroy it,” I said as I produced the detonator from my pocket. I handed it to Fatu.
“Why didn’t you destroy it when you were in Kadear?” Fatu asked in a bewildering tone.
“Rand was wearing it every time I saw it. What was that you were preaching about non-interference? I figured maiming or killing the future leader of the Kadear tribe might be considered interference.” I took a deep breath. “I didn’t come here to make trouble. I came here to deliver a painting,” I said in frustration. “I need to at least put in an appearance in Mazala to keep you out of hot water with Rand. You need to get my blaster for your sake as much as mine. I’ll go play for time. You save our butts. You think a week will give you enough time?”
“Plenty, I’ll draw you a map to my place. We’ll meet there in five days.” Fatu shouldered our goods and headed toward the dresarge. “Come on, we can make Mazala by nightfall.”
Welcome to a new partnership with a mutual self-preservation clause.

*****

018.9

Jake stepped off the ramp to the pod and turned to Arr.
“Don’t wander far from the pod and don’t let Kay-o either. I may need you to come pick us up fast.” Jake adjusted the lightweight robe he wore over his spacer suit. “If you see or hear anyone you lock up and take off. Don’t leave the atmosphere and come back as soon as it’s clear.”
He pulled his blaster and checked the setting for the umpteenth time in the last twenty minutes he’d been giving orders.
Arr stood quietly with Kay-o leaning against his side in the doorway of the pod. He was upset. He wanted to go with Jake, but no amount of reasoning made any inroads. Jake was adamant about Arr staying safely with the pod.
Jake was agitated. He might not have minded being here himself, but he didn’t like bringing the kid down and then leaving him. There were too many variables on this planet, as 3su found out.
“One other thing.” He was trying really hard to remember all the drawbacks of visiting this planet. They really were too numerous to list. “There is a total solar eclipse at mid-day. The minute it starts – and I do mean the minute it starts – I want you and Kay-o to get in the pod and lock down. Don’t come out, no matter what, until the eclipse is over. Understand?”
“Understood,” Arr said. Kay-o nudged his hand and he slipped it in his pocket and brought out a Goo Chew for the Dar-dolf.
Jake shook his head at the action. The kid was spoiling the beast – wait that should be past tense, he had spoiled the beast.
“I’ll be back as soon as I can.” Jake clinched his teeth together in order to activate his mike. He said, “Test, test.”
Arr lowered the volume on his Ear even further. He hated the thing. It really impeded his naturally sensitive hearing. “Got you loud and clear.”
“Keep your Ear on and listen up for my call. I really don’t know how this will go down.” Jake started to say he might need him fast, but realized he already covered that ground. He was just killing time now. He needed to get into town while he could still do it under cover of darkness. He wanted to locate and talk to Fatu if the guy was still here. He’d have an idea of what was going on. He was in Aldobi-rand’s inner circle, or was last Jake heard.
Jake pulled up his hood and turned to leave before he decided to pack it in and let 3su get herself out of this one. But, he couldn’t do that. They had too much history. She was a friend in trouble and he was one of the few people who could get her out of it.
“Keep safe,” he said to Arr.
“Watch your back,” Arr advised. He fervently wished he could be there to do just that.

*****

018.10

“The storm was fierce. It had the breath of Parnac behind it,” Fatu told Aldobi-rand.
“And the woman?” Rand asked impatiently. The ruler-to-be did not seem to be nearly as upset about Salib’s death as he was about the possible loss of 3su.
“I was able to take her on to TiSenge as you ordered. I do not know if he believed all she said,” Fatu admitted. “She is a clever woman though and I believe she will serve your purpose.”
Rand visibly relaxed hearing that 3su did infiltrate TiSenge’s tribe. He moved to the table and poured two goblets of wine. He handed Fatu one.
“We must toast to your new title as leader of my guard, and to our future success in uniting the tribes of Kadear and Mazala.”
Aldobi-rand’s robe opened as he lifted his cup. The maneuver revealed the blaster strapped to his hip.
Fatu raised his goblet and drank deeply trying to formulate a plan in his head to obtain or destroy the weapon as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close