Thursday, December 29, 2011

Star Traveler Update - What is it?


“Ma-rye-a said she did not detect you sleeping,” Sam said as introduction for his intrusion into my bedroom so late at night.

“No, I’m awake,” I answered. “What’s up?”

“I have been very unsettled by this new Attalla,” Sam started to explain.

“As have I,” I interjected.

“There is a box in his room that I cannot access. It makes me very uncomfortable.”

This statement from an AI, even if it was my security AI, made me extremely uncomfortable.

“What do you think is in the box?” I asked Sam to hypothesize.

“We think it is a weapon of some sort,” Horus chimed in.

Horus rarely spoke unless I asked him to assist in decision making. They obviously had been working on this among themselves.

“I have suggested he might be armed to protect himself from the iisadsu that killed Attalla Five,” Ma-rye-a said. “It would be a very logical thing to do.”

“He is an ambassador,” Carrie joined in. “He shouldn’t carry a weapon. Isn’t it against their code?”

“It is in other galaxies, but I don’t know about this one.” I was confused. I had been living in a state of confusion since ‘this’ Attalla arrived.

“I checked the regulations. It is against policy, but not forbidden,” Sam advised us all.

 “So, I can see you have all been talking about this – what do you suggest we do?” I asked.

“I just don’t know if we want to be a part of this any longer,” Horus said. His voice sounded concerned - firm. Of course, that was the way Daniel programmed him in order to make him appear a better decision maker.

“I don’t know how we could get out of it at this late date,” I said.

“We’ll be there by morning,” Ma-rye-a sighed resignation.

“I wanted to bring this up earlier, but…”

Sam was interrupted by Horus.

“I advised waiting. It is my fault,” Horus said. “I wanted to give Ambassador Attalla an opportunity to tell you of his plans. Unfortunately, he has not been forthcoming.”

“Well, I must admit that I would not go back to the planet without a weapon either,” I confessed to my crew. 
“I do not think anyone is safe in so volatile a situation.”

“I don’t think it is that kind of a weapon,” Sam started to clarify. “We’re not talking a handgun here.”

“I looked directly at Sam’s monitor. “What do you think it is?”

“The box is hermetically sealed,” Sam said. “We think it is some sort of chemical weapon.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close