Saturday, October 15, 2011

Star Traveler Update - The Rahic


The Rahic are small and dark green. The closest thing I can associate their looks to for you to imagine them is a four foot tall aphid. They scurry around on all fours, but stand on their hind legs to converse. They don’t actually sit, they squat on the rear legs as well. Their eyes are opalescent and seem to swirl as they concentrate on Attalla and his information about the treaty renewal.

I personally cannot tell one from the other, but somehow he does. He’s brought some kind of translator with him. They speak at such a low volume that I cannot hear, as much as I feel, their conversation. There is a deep resonance to their voices like the malfits back home that can be heard for miles.

The tunnels are close quarters for someone as tall as I am. That means Attalla has to almost bend double in order to maneuver them. The Rahic, dusted in yellow pollen as Attalla described, maneuver through the tendrils in such large numbers that their bodies rub the sides of the tunnels pollinating the plant.

I was asked to join them in their negotiations, though Attalla told me it was not so much negotiations with the Rahic as a courtesy call. Their part of the treaty remains the same year after year. It was created to protect the Rahic from any outside interference. Attalla’s people use the acquisition of the Tokkzic to keep the other planets from bothering the Rahic. In turn, his people sell the Tokkzic in order to provide funds for the manufacturing of the packaging for the liqueur. The liqueur is sold for just the packaging and transport costs. It is highly sought after due to its rarity, flavor and intoxication factors.

It was with a cup of the Tokkzic that Attalla and the Rahic sealed the signing of the treaty. I was asked to embed with them.

You have heard the expression, ‘the nectar of the Gods?’ Well, let us just say that whoever wrote that phrase had to be speaking of Tokkzic. It is a sparkling emerald green color with bubbles of gold laced through it. A mere thimble full was intoxicating. Even before it reached my lips the fragrance was overwhelming. Attalla said it smells like a mixture of spices his mother used in her cookies. To me it smells like coconut with a hint of vanilla. He told me it is part of the allure of it, it smells differently for everyone. Yet when I tasted it, it didn’t taste like coconut or vanilla. In fact, I can’t compare it to anything else I have ever drunk. I just know I savored every drop and would have licked the cup had it not been terribly uncouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close