Saturday, July 30, 2011

Star Traveler Update - Serious Trouble!

“Come down or I am going to start carving,” Klaid threatened. Or at least I figured it was Klaid since Jake had said he was in charge and he was doing all the talking.

To prove his sincerity to me Klaid ran his lethal blade against Arr’s cheek. Arr refused to cry out, but I saw the blood immediately start leaking from the cut. Jake jerked in the hands of the other two men restraining him. I had never seen such rage in him.

“Get ‘em down,” Klaid ordered Jake. “Or, your partner will pay.”

“No, Jake.” Arr said.

Klaid jerked Arr’s head back. He placed the knife at Arr's throat. “NOW!” he bellowed.

I don’t know what led Klaid to realize there was still one more victim up the tree, but he was sure there was.

“I’m coming,” I yelled down.

I really didn’t know if I could make it down on my own. I felt weak as a kitten and hurt all over. Then again, I didn’t have any choice. As much as Jake had ordered me to stay, I couldn’t let Arr be tortured.

I grabbed the stump of a broken branch that I saw Jake use earlier on his descent and started to lower myself down through the branches. Luckily iron wood trees have branches to within about six to ten feet off the ground. As I stepped down the limbs one at a time, I heard rude remarks and cat calls from the three holding Jake and Arr.

They had not expected Jake to have a woman with him. I was in serious trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close