Friday, May 13, 2011

Star Traveler Update - Pitch Black

We crept quickly through the open port. “We’re in,” Tim announced in a whisper to Sam and Ma-rye-a aboard ship.

“Straight ahead until the first junction and then right,” Ma-rye-a guided us back in her own whisper through our Ears.

We made the turn and immediately the whole tunnel went dark. I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face.

“Shit!” Tim exclaimed just as a soft light came on in his hand. “Hadn’t really expected that.”

“You think they know we are here?” I had reached out when the lights failed and caught hold of his suit. I found myself still clinging to it with a tight fist.

“It’s either good news or bad. Good would be that the lights always go out when the doors close to save energy. Bad news would be we tripped something.” Tim moved ahead. “We’ll know soon enough.”

I let go my death grip on his suit. Sam decided earlier we would be less easily detected if we went in the port in suits rather than in a pod. His reasoning was that small objects are often ignored as space debris and later jettisoned with the regular waste disposal cleanup. We made it in fine, but now we were in the dark.

We edged our way down the hall and took another right per Ma-rye-a’s directions. She was leading us to the point the security system went dark. Dark – good point.

I heard Tim hiss another superlative through his teeth. He came to an abrupt halt.

“What?” I asked straining to see around his bulk in the hallway. Once I saw, I wished I hadn’t tried so hard. Standing in our path, in the light of Tim’s flashlight were two programmable matter guards.

“I think we have the right place,” Tim said and flicked off his light pitching us back into total darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close