Saturday, April 30, 2011

Star Traveler Update - Too much help


“It’s like trying to crack an avocado seed,” Coal said in frustration. “I just don’t see any way in.”

“Exactly,” Ma-rye-a agreed with admiration of Daniel’s work.

She and Coal had their virtual heads together over Cassie’s program trying to break the security on the firewall around Daniel’s program. There was no doubt in my mind that that was what it was. Daniel had hidden a backup to his Nano program in Cassie for insurance. At least whoever snatched him would not kill him when he revealed the program was set to be released if anything happened to him. No one would profit if it was out there on the NET for everyone.

“Okay,” I said to Ma-rye-a and to the team aboard MT2424. “I am convinced it is the program and frankly, I don’t care. I just want to find Daniel. Can you folks do anything to help locate him?”

“You need to be very care,” Damion said in frustration. “You have what they want. Daniel put you in just as much danger loading the program in Cassie as he is with the program in his mind.”

“I’m safe aboard ship, Damion, but thanks for the concern,” I responded.

Targus’ image took up most of the frame of my monitor. “I can make an official request that the Valarians locate Daniel.”

“Well, that would be a start.” I sat back in my chair and took a sip of my cold tea. I don’t think I had managed to get to the tea hot in the past two days. Luckily, MT2424 was too far away to hop over and give us a hand searching for Daniel, even though Damion had tried to convince Targus my problem was worth the trip. Tim would arrive in another few hours and I was not looking forward to dealing with the dynamics of inviting official and unofficial law to the same manhunt. If Captain Targus could put the pressure on from afar, perhaps it would distract the Valarian’s attention from whatever Tim had in mind for the recovery of Daniel. That is, of course, if the Valarians actually had him and he hadn’t been kidnapped by some other group.

“And if the Valarians say they don’t have him?” I asked.

“Then you hire one of your mercenary friends to go in and make sure they don’t,” Targus said. The Captain seemed almost clairvoyant. “The Valarian’s are not someone the Galactic Forces would want one of their MT units to agitate. If you find that someone else has taken him off Valaria feel free to contact us again. We will do our best to assist you in tracking him down. Otherwise, our hands are tied.” Targus leaned closer to the monitor. “I will call you when I get the response from the Valarian government. MT2424 Out.”

The screen went blank and I sat back taking another swig of my tea before I remembered it was just as cold as my trail to Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to get a heads-up on my latest book releases, sales, and freebies, make sure to sign up for my newsletter! And you don't have to worry about getting a bunch of junk - I only send it out when I really have something you might want to hear about.

* indicates required
Close